Thursday 2 February 2012

Happy Birthday Sharn!

So a post is long overdue. I mean I was home for Christmas (where there is more baking than needed) and another two weeks after that. But the cookies I did manage to bake for Christmas never got decorated and I never got a chance to help with any other baking because I had just gotten home on the 23 and most of what needed to be done was.

But regardless of the uneventful Christmas break, (and January too!) today is my good friend Sharn's birthday and despite not having a chance to make her a cake this year. I thought I would post about the cake I had made her last year.



This cake is without a doubt my favourite cake I have ever made and features the best gum paste roses I've made to date. Despite the gum paste being white I thought it worked beautifully with the more ivory coloured buttercream fondant (by Duff!). It was inspired by a cake in Peggy Porschen's Simply Spectacular Cakes. 

The cake was my favourite white cake recipe from the Joy of Cooking which is essentially the lady cake recipe with more egg-whites and vanilla extract instead of lemon and was layered with strawberry buttercream which can be made by just putting jam in any buttercream recipe.





I hope Sharn has an amazing birthday this year and I hope to make more beautiful cakes like this, this year.
Happy Groundhog Day Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment